Being around greenery and plants is a pleasant experience, but plants and mental health may have a closer connection than we have realized. Being around plants can lower depression, anxiety and stress, and research has shown that plants can boost cognitive skills and mood.
Almost anyone can reap the psychological benefits of plants. You can grow a garden or go to a park regularly. However, taking care of plants inside brings added benefits, like being surrounded by greenery all the time and watching them grow.
Indoor Plants That Help With Depression and Anxiety
Taking care of a plant can be a low-stress way to feel better, build confidence and improve mood. Some plants, however, can have an especially positive impact on anxiety, depression and mental health in general:
- English ivy: This hardy vine improves indoor air quality by reducing mold in the air, which can improve your sleep and your mood.
- Bamboo palm: The bamboo palm doesn’t need much water, so it can survive if you don’t water it every day. It is also a natural humidifier, which improves your home’s comfort and, potentially, your mood.
- Lavender: The pleasant scent of lavender can improve sleep and reduce stress. It’s a simple way to add a soothing scent to your home. Look for a perennial lavender variety that will last longer than a year.
- Aloe vera: You can use aloe around the house since it can help improve the healing of minor wounds. It does not require much care and lasts a long time, which is ideal if you’re new to houseplants.
- Basil: Choose basil for a houseplant that has a pleasant scent and grows easily. You can mix it into your recipes and garnish dishes. Basil can improve stress levels, mood and blood pressure.
Care for Mental Health Beyond Plants
While caring for plants can help you feel better and remind you to care for yourself, they are only one element in mental health. If you suffer from anxiety, depression or feel like you could use some help, we are here to help.
Contact Taylor Counseling Group for reliable, affordable and accessible care. We make it easy to book online 24/7 to get treatment and support.