Divorce Recovery Therapy
The ending of a marriage can be an emotionally taxing journey, no matter how confident you are in your decision. Divorce often brings a wide range of intense emotions, including grief, confusion, anxiety, and guilt — particularly if children are involved. Divorce recovery counseling helps individuals heal throughout their journey by processing their emotions and developing invaluable new coping skills.
- What Is Divorce Recovery?
- Who Should Seek After-Divorce Therapy?
- Benefits of Divorce Recovery Therapy
Divorce recovery refers to the process of emotional, mental and practical healing that takes place throughout every stage of a divorce. Divorce recovery, like any form of healing, is unique to each person. However, recovery often happens in four stages:
- Stabilization: Turning to a support system and establishing coping skills can offer helpful stabilization during the initial healing phase.
- Exploration: During this stage, many people examine what went awry in their marriage and what they want from their future.
- Experimentation: This stage of divorce recovery may involve starting to seek a new relationship, or pursuing life as an independent individual.
- Regaining confidence: At this stage of recovery, you’re confident in your ability to accomplish your goals and pursue happiness on your own terms.
Schedule A Counseling SessionBook Online
Divorce recovery counseling can be beneficial to anyone involved in the breakdown of a marriage, including both adults and children. Therapy is an invaluable tool for any divorced couple, whether they attend sessions individually and separately. While many divorced couples who pursue counseling decide to attend on their own, partnered therapy sessions can be a helpful medium to mediate conflict, determine healthy boundaries and set guidelines for the future.
Children can also benefit from after-divorce therapy. Divorce is often emotionally difficult for children, creating feelings like fear, guilt, confusion or abandonment. Many children battle anxiety that they contributed to their parent’s separation, or feel caught in the crossfire of custody arrangements. Divorce therapy can provide an invaluable outside perspective and a space for children to unpack any intense feelings.
Divorce recovery counseling provides a safe space to work through the emotions associated with the end of your marriage. Through the help of a certified counselor, clients can gain a rational outside perspective, helping them forward on the journey toward self-discovery and growth. Divorce therapy can help you:
- Feel supported as you face the challenges and emotions that often accompany a divorce.
- Learn the necessary skills to cope in a healthy manner during a difficult time.
- Gradually gain a deeper understanding of the dynamics that led to your divorce.
- Determine what you want and need from a future relationship.
- Process and release negative emotions.
- Learn how to communicate with your ex-spouse.
- Discover how to best help and support your children, if any, during this time.
- Look ahead to the future and start your next chapter with confidence.
Pursue Divorce Recovery Therapy at Taylor Counseling Group
If you are going through the challenging process of a divorce, you don’t have to handle it alone. Our team of qualified, compassionate counselors is here to ensure you have the support and resources you need as you step forward into the future. We offer affordable, reliable and accessible counseling in nine locations throughout Central Texas, Houston and San Antonio. We are also available for telehealth counseling appointments online as needed.
Schedule your first appointment with Taylor Counseling Group today — a listening ear is just a phone call away.