Our mental health plays a huge role in our well-being. Mental health affects how we think, feel, and act. It helps determine how we make healthy choices and cope with stress. Because our mental health can affect us in drastic ways, it’s important to take care of it.
Here are a few mental health workouts we can do every day:
- Exercise: Studies have consistently shown us that exercise positively affects our brain function. Getting our heart rate and moving our body supports healthy mental functioning. We don’t need to spend hours at the gym. A good 20-minute workout will do the trick.
- Socialize: Spend time with others. Having strong social ties can decrease risk for depression, improve physical heath, and lengthen lifespan. Spend time making genuine connections.
- Express gratitude: Take 5 minutes each day to write down things you are thankful for can help lower stress and allow for a more positive mindset.
- Go outside: Go for a walk, do something outdoors, especially if it’s sunny. Sun exposure helps boot our mood.
- Have a good laugh: Find a funny show and laugh. Laughing is important, as it can help improve mood and decrease anxiety.
- Practice kindness: Committing kind acts can not only benefit someone else, but it can also make us feel better. Hold the door open for someone, say hello, or compliment someone.
- Get a good night sleep: Sleep is important. Strive to get good sleep. Sufficient sleep energizes your brain cells and can help improve motivation.
Take care of your mental health. Your mental health is important and you deserve to care for it.