Healthy ways to recognize and negotiate conflict
- Conflict must be viewed as a problem that can be solved mutually – finding a solution that is acceptable to both.
- Each person must participate actively in the resolution and make an effort and commitment to finding answers which are as fair as possible.
- Make conflict resolution the priority rather than winning or being right.
- Use effective communication techniques- Use “I” statements, use empathy, and practice active listening
- Focus on the situation rather than the person- don’t attack
- Ask questions using exploration rather than domination- Try asking an open-ended question that provokes communication
- Be respectful
- Brainstorm possible solutions together
Conflict is hard, but these are healthy ways to communicate and negotiate conflict. Remember conflict happens and it can be productive if handled with care.